Email Marketing 101. Email has been a marketing staple for a long time, and with good reason. Email marketing has the potential to help you build a long term, sustainable, online business without a ton of time or monetary investment.
This article will help you understand the basics of email marketing and hopefully clear up some of the confusion surrounding email marketing.
When you are talking about the basics of email marketing, you are going to want to talk about a few different things:
* Email lists and how they work. This is going to determine whether or not the emails you create are going to be effective. This will give you the basics and help you improve them.
* How your email list is going to get created. This will help you put together a targeted email list so you can build a sustainable and profitable business using your list. It is not necessary to have a large amount of people to email, because a smaller, more engaged list of people is usually more profitable in the long run.
* Your mailing list. It is important that you have a good quality mailing list. People are not going to open emails from people or businesses they don’t recognize, so you want to make sure your mailing list has a high email open rate for you.
* The purpose of your campaign. This portion will help you define your campaign, it’s objective, and how it is going to be effective.
How Emails and Lists Work:
When it comes to email marketing, you want that email to get opened and read, so you want to make sure it contains useful information. If it doesn’t contain useful information, people will stop opening your emails and your list will become unresponsive. Your customers need to know why they are receiving this email and what they should do once they open it (Call To Action).
To get your emails opened, you need to give your customers good reasons to open the email. You also want that email to land in the inbox because if it doesn’t land in the inbox, it might get trashed or deleted on auto-pilot anyway. When you write your emails, you need information that will create curiosity, but you also want it to get straight to the point, so it doesn’t consume too much of the customer’s time and attention.
The most important part of your email is your Subject Line, because this is what will entice the person to open the email in the first place. You could have the most articulately written email in the world, but if nobody opens it, it doesn’t matter.
How To Create Your Email List:
The next thing we are going to talk about is how you get people to offer up their email address in the first place. There are a few different ways you can get people to sign up for email newsletters and emails.
You can do it by creating surveys or questionnaires, or using a simple survey software to collect them. Another way is to give away e-books or other e-products in exchange for an email address.
Using a landing page (simple one page website) that offers them this “bribe” in exchange for their email address has stood the test of time and still works well.
You can also harness the power of Search Engine Optimization to write keyword focused articles and blog posts to bring people to your website where you would use the same “ethical bribe” technique that you used for your standalone landing page.
If you are going to do all of those, you will also want to make sure you are getting the customers’ consent to do so. This is a legal requirement in all countries around the world, and is the result of massive amounts of spam emails that are sent each day (just check your spam folder and see what I mean).
So How Can You Use Traffic To Build Your List?
There are various types of traffic that you can use to build your email list:
1. Many people start out trying to use Facebook Ads, Google and Bing Ads, or Youtube Ads and end up losing a lot of money very quickly. While they can work quite well, it is better to start “low and slow” and build on your success with theses platforms as you become more proficient.
An alternative traffic source, especially effective for affiliate marketing products, is Solo Ads, which are highly targeted email list ads, and can convert much better than other traffic methods for this type of email marketing business. You are basically advertising your product in someone else’s niche specific email list, usually someone with a very large list.
2. You can build a following and get organic traffic by posting content that is relevant and valuable to your customer on your Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Youtube or other social media networks.
3. Start a website and create keyword targeted articles and blog posts to leverage the power of SEO tactics to drive targeted traffic to your website where you can get them to sign up for your list.
Some traffic methods are faster but will require you to spend money (such as pay per click and paid traffic sources), while others are slower and will require your time and effort (like SEO focused blog posts), but this is a are more automated long term sources of traffic.
Which is the best option for your business?
That question depends on whether or not you have the financial means (not to mention the know how) to invest in paid traffic, or whether you want to play the long game and create the foundation for long term passive income.
At the end of the day, I believe that the best approach is a mix of paid and free traffic sources.
The Purpose of Your Email List Campaigns:
Your email list campaigns should be usually be a mix of unique and engaging stories, information that will help your reader to achieve a desired result, and sales emails where you are promoting either your own product or someone else’s, in order to make sales for your business.
Try and keep the ratio of these emails to 3-1. Three informative emails to one sales email, although you can include a “Call To Action” at the end of an informative email promoting a product to maximize your profits.
Email marketing is, and will continue to be, a very viable and effective means of building a sustainable and profitable online business as we move into the future.
The trick is to make sure you do things right so that you can find success…